UXLx brings professionals from all over the world to Lisbon for 3 whole days of trainning and networking. Next edition is taking place on the 23rd and 26th of May 2017.
This talk was without a doubt one of the most intriguing ones. Chris brought to the stage tales of divination, randomizers and even party games to unblock creativity.
Q: How do you think new things?
A: we can't help it
Chris Noessel also tweets as and using the #nametale hashtag
2 out of 2 speakers referring to hallucinogenic drugs! #uxlx— Séamus Byrne (@SeamusByrne) May 26, 2016
"What worked before is what we need not to do."
— Chris Noessel
- Haruspication : divining by sheep liver
- I Ching : produce random binary numbers to find reference to a pre written set of 'answers'
- Tarot: context, focus and outcome by drawing random cards
Other machines that produce new meaning:
- Mad libs
- Musikalische Würfelspiele : a musical dice game
- Ariadne's thread (latourex)
- The lonely planet guide to planetary travel. Techniques to discover a new place
- Cards against humanity
Signifiers, randomized in a fixed grammar & read for new meaning.
Semantic Noodling & Meaning Machines
Poetry: "The rose is red. The violet's blue. Sugar is sweet, and so are you."
Signoras, randomized in a fixedgram & read for mean square
Constrained writing allows us to find new linguistic formulations.